In 1951 our Chairman, Donald Smith Jr co-founded Zinke-Smith,
Inc., a heavy construction company. In 1966, Zinke-Smith, Inc. began overseas
operations. Donald Smith Jr. purchased his partnerís interest
and renamed the firm Devcon International Corp. in October 1971.
Jon Chellgren led Pavex Corporation (since renamed Ranger
Construction-South) for the Vecellio Group for over 20 years. An
investor group led by Donald Smith Jr. and Jon Chellgren purchased the marine and
construction assets of Devcon International Corp. in March 2007.
The assets were purchased by Devcon (TCI) Ltd, a Turks and Caicos Islands limited
liability company, as part of the transaction. Donald Smith Jr. serves as
the Board of Directors and Jon Chellgren serves as President & Chief Executive
Officer of Devcon Ltd.
Since 1951, our experienced management team:
- Has excavated and moved more than 200 million yards of rock and
- Dredged an additional 200 million cubic yards of sand, silt, and rock
- Constructed and paved highways, roads and streets throughout the Caribbean including
- 76 miles of interstate highway and turnpike in
- 130 kilometers of the Pan American Highway in Costa
Rica and Panama
- 120 kilometers of reconstructed highways in Peru
- 70 miles of roadway on Abaco, Bahamas
- Performed significant marine construction throughout the Caribbean
including construction of the Deep Water Pier and Turning Basin in
St. Johnís Harbour, Antigua, the Albany Marina in Nassau, Bahamas, and the Turks and Caicos
Yacht Club in Leeward, TCI.
- Constructed major expansions of airports including Sint Maarten, Canouan
and various locations in Florida
- Was the original contractor for the Daytona
- Built over 40 golf courses for eight of the leading golf course
designers throughout Florida, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean,
including Indigo Run, a Greg Norman designed course
at Emerald Bay on Exuma
- Performed significant residential, commercial and industrial site
development in Florida, the Caribbean, and the Bahamas representing
excavation and earthmoving of more than 40,000,000 cubic yards of
material, laying over 10,000,000 tons of asphalt, construction of roads and underground facilities.